This house, damaged by a devastating fire in February, 2011, was condemned by Kent County and will be demolished unless someone is able to purchase it immediately. It is a contributing resource listed in Frederica’s 1977 historic district nomination. Prospective buyers should contact the current owner, Terrenna Giles-Brown, at 302.270.3283. If you are interested in preserving the house and utilizing preservation tax credits, please call Joan Larrivee, Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs at 302.736.7400.
The house belonged to Governor John Wood Hall, and during his term (1879-1882), he modified the original dwelling by adding a third story and attic. The brick section, supposedly constructed in the late 18th century, is a narrow single-pile dwelling featuring a Flemish bond facade. Interior baseboards, double doors, slate mantel and door surrounds represent the 19th century. The staircase is unusually narrow and features nineteenth century turned balusters and newel posts on the firs, second and third story areas. Very wide floorboards (first floor, east section) and random width flooring (east section, second floor) maybe the original flooring. According to Gov. Hall’s inventory, the two-story frame section contained a kitchen on the first floor and two bedrooms on the second floor. As a result of the recent fire, the house no longer has a kitchen or bathrooms.
(Demolished : 7/2011)