Endangered Sites

Preservation Delaware is always concerned about the historic properties and landscape of the entire state of Delaware. The following are endangered sites submitted by concerned citizens who wish to maintain Delaware’s rich cultural and historical heritage by preserving the historic buildings and sites throughout the state. On occasion, Preservation Delaware will submit an endangered site, but in such a case, it will be clearly marked.
If you know about an endangered site in Delaware, please use our Submit an Endangered Site link

The Hamlet of Belltown

Overview :

The Hamlet of Belltown is a small village located along route 9 in Sussex County, Delaware. Belltown dates back to the middle 1800s, and includes a school, church and 27 houses built before 1930.

Site Date : Mid 19th century
Site Excerpt : The Hamlet of Belltown is a small village located along route 9 in Sussex County, Delaware. Belltown dates back to the middle 1800s, and includes a school, church and 27 houses built before 1930. State transportation officials are on a mission to preserve Belltown's history and have proposed rerouting the traffic that is destroying the integrity of what was once a thriving community.
Site Location :
Belltown Rd
Lewes , DE 19958

Buttonwood Mansion

Overview :

In 1996 the Center for Historic Architecture and Engineering, University of Delaware documented Buttonwood Mansion for the Delaware Valley Threatened Buildings Survey. The early 19th century one and one-half story five bay brick dwelling is located on the banks of … Continue reading

Site Date : Early 19th Century
Site Excerpt : In 1996 the Center for Historic Architecture and Engineering, University of Delaware documented Buttonwood Mansion for the Delaware Valley Threatened Buildings Survey. The early 19th century one and one-half story five bay brick dwelling is located on the banks of the Delaware River in the City of New Castle.
Site Location :
400 Lukens Drive
New Castle , DE 19720

Cannon Hall

Overview :

For more than 100 years, the Woodland Ferry was part of a Cannon family business operating on the Nanticoke River. Historical research has not discovered an exact date, but evidence suggests that James Cannon established the ferry here between 1734 … Continue reading

Site Date : 1734-1748
Site Excerpt : For more than 100 years, the Woodland Ferry was part of a Cannon family business operating on the Nanticoke River. Evidence suggests that James Cannon established the ferry here between 1734 and 1748.
Site Location :
River Rd
Seaford , DE 19973

Blackwater Colored School

Overview :

In the early 1800’s a group of Negro families (the Halls, Tunnells, Welburns, Olivers, Collins, Rickards, Walters, Rodgers, Andrews, Tyres, Evans and Williams) many of whom were still slaves and others being Freed Negro residents made up the Wesley community. … Continue reading

Site Date : 1892
Site Excerpt : Built in 1892, this school served the community until 1925, when it was replaced with the DuPont School. This school is the last of the remaining Colored School buildings built during the post Civil War period in Sussex County and serves as a important symbol of the past. The people who formed this community lived through segregation. Their education, religion and culture revolved around the Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church and the Blackwater Colored School. This site is an integral part of the history of Delaware.
Site Location :
34478 Roxana Road
Frankford , DE 19945

The Milton Brick Manufacturing Company

Overview :

The Broadkill River and its river banks were once home to a flourishing shipbuilding industry. During the eighteenth century, European settlers built vessels on the banks of the Broadkill and its tributaries. The forests along the river contained plentiful lumber … Continue reading

Site Date : September 1887
Site Excerpt : Historic brick manufacturing company in Milton, Delaware. Opened in 1887.
Site Location :
Cave Neck Road
Milton , DE 19968

Page 2 of 212