TagsAdventures in Preservation African American Bellanca Brandywine Clarksville Crowninshield Delaware Humanities Forum Dover DuPont Schools Elisha Dickerson Endangered Sites environmental management Frankford historic commissions Historic odessa Historic Preservation tax credit Hockessin Hockessin School 107C international preservation trades workshop Kent County Kim Burdick lbrary Lewes Mary Ruffin Hanbury matching donation membership Milsboro Milton murphy house Nanticoke River national trust for historic preservation New Castle New Castle County P.S. duPont preservation delaware Rhonda Powell-Sargeant Seaford Sussex County Townsend Tulip Festival Vacant Property Website Welfare Foundation Wilmington window preservation standards
Category Archives: Endangered Sites
Originally built as housing for workers of the Simsville Cotton Factory in 1814, this is the last remaining house of the 40 houses that once surrounded what is currently known as the Walker’s Mill today. The building was partitioned into … Continue reading
Brandywine Hundred; built by George Murphy and occupied by William Murphy. New Castle County Resource Numbers: N-544, 7NC-841. Reference DelDOT report: Phase I & II Arhaeological Investigations at the William Murphy House (1997): http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/de_141/murphy/index.shtml Also, Library of Congress – Built … Continue reading
The home was lived in until two years ago and has quickly fallen into disrepair. The house is a two story structure with a small root cellar. It is a cedar shingled home with asphalt roofing shingles over cedar shingles. … Continue reading
This historic site is owned by the State of Delaware. It has been threatened by vandalism in recent years. Note: The site’s approximate address is shown below
This historic home in Wilmington, Delaware has been sorely neglected due to an absentee landlord.
The Hamlet of Belltown is a small village located along route 9 in Sussex County, Delaware. Belltown dates back to the middle 1800s, and includes a school, church and 27 houses built before 1930.
In 1996 the Center for Historic Architecture and Engineering, University of Delaware documented Buttonwood Mansion for the Delaware Valley Threatened Buildings Survey. The early 19th century one and one-half story five bay brick dwelling is located on the banks of … Continue reading
For more than 100 years, the Woodland Ferry was part of a Cannon family business operating on the Nanticoke River. Historical research has not discovered an exact date, but evidence suggests that James Cannon established the ferry here between 1734 … Continue reading
In the early 1800’s a group of Negro families (the Halls, Tunnells, Welburns, Olivers, Collins, Rickards, Walters, Rodgers, Andrews, Tyres, Evans and Williams) many of whom were still slaves and others being Freed Negro residents made up the Wesley community. … Continue reading