For more than 100 years, the Woodland Ferry was part of a Cannon family business operating on the Nanticoke River. Historical research has not discovered an exact date, but evidence suggests that James Cannon established the ferry here between 1734 and 1748. Certainly by 1748, there were a “warf [wharf] and two houses” here because they are mentioned in James’ will of that year.
The Proceedings and Acts of the General Assembly of Maryland record that in 1766 a tax of 1,500 lbs. of tobacco was paid to Jacob Cannon (James’ son) “for keeping a Ferry over Nanticoke River the Year past.”
These early references, however, provide no information on the appearance of the ferry at Woodland.